Saturday, March 29, 2008

Surprise, Curbs Blames Injurries Yet Again/Kewell to Juve

1. Fiorentina are moving for Middlesbrough goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

The Sun says the Serie A side are set to send a scout to watch him play against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge tomorrow.

The Australian international is out of contract with Boro this summer and is free to leave the Riverside.

Fiorentina expect to lose their No 1 - Frenchman Sebastien Frey - to AC Milan and see Schwarzer, 35, as the ideal experienced replacement.

2. West Ham United boss Alan Curbishley bemoaned their injury-list after defeat to Sunderland.

He said: "It may well sum up the season, what has happened to us today.

"We came here with 17 players - the injury list is chronic, and as the game wore on, it got worse.

"We were pulling people all over the place and filling in and to be fair, I thought we had done enough to get a point.

"There was nothing wrong with the ref putting five minutes up - there were plenty of stoppages, but the goal went in in the 96th minute, someone has just told me. It did seem a long time.

"The nature of the goal, in the last minute with 30 seconds to go after giving it our lot, we allowed Reid to get in between two people when it was clearable.

"We are very disappointed. I looked around the dressing room and there is ice everywhere and disappointed bodies, but we will just have to get on with it.

"It has been the story of the season."

The Hammers' injury list grew significantly during the game with George McCartney failing to reappear after the break because of a hamstring problem, Carlton Cole damaging a foot, McCartney's replacement John Pantsil suffering concussion and Ljungberg being carried off with a hamstring problem.

3. West Ham United defender John Pantsil is set to quit the club this summer.

The Ghana international, 26, said: "I just want to play. I'll take any chance I get."

4. EXCLUSIVE: Jade North jetted back into Sydney this morning and promptly announced his desire to swiftly jet out again and turn his overseas dream into reality.

To see Pim and the Aussieroos arrive home in Sydney this morning...The Newcastle Jets captain arrived back with coach Pim Verbeek and several of his Socceroo teammates after a tremendous performance in the goalless draw with China. North’s contribution earned him tremendous plaudits from both colleagues and supporters and now he is keen to build on his success. Speaking to au.fourfourtwo.com in the arrivals hall, North said: “Oh mate, it was just tremendous. I was pretty nervous in the build up to the China match and yeah there were a few butterflies in there.

“You know that it’s a massive game, an important World Cup qualifier but it was a dream come true to be involved in a match like that and an occasion like that. Once the whistle went I was fully focused and ready to go.”North went into the China game after the goalless draw against Singapore, a match that saw him briefly handed the captain’s armband after Harry Kewell was substituted by Verbeek.The 25-year-old said: “Look it’s been an unbelievable year for me. It started with the birth of my child, then I’m handed the captaincy of my A-League club, we then go and win the grand final. That in itself is fantastic but then you suddenly get a call up for the Socceroos and the captaincy. “Having the performance I did (against China) just topped it off really. The coach congratulated the boys on the result and performance but he doesn’t really pick people out. I think he’s a great coach and I’ve already learned so much from him.”North has also paid tribute to the part played by Jets coach Gary van Egmond in putting him on the road to his ‘unbelievable’ year.

He said: “I’ve got every reason to thank Gazza. To have led the boys out this year has been massive. I think I’ve earned the respect as captain and it’s helped me a lot.”Not that his gratitude will translate into a desire to remain at EnergyAustralia Stadium. North’s appetite has been further whetted to embrace a new challenge beyond Aussie shores.He said: “A game like that (China) can open up doors you know. I think it’s time for me to go and I just feel I’m ready to go. My next step, my next challenge is to go overseas. I don’t think Con (Jets owner Con Constantine) will stand in my way.”

Van Egmond has said North’s next challenge is to cement a permanent spot in the Socceroo set up and the defender agrees. He said: “That’s what I want to happen and to bring that about I have to keep playing well and maintain a level of consistency. You set standards and you have to maintain them. "We’ve a month off now so I have to keep myself fit. I just want to keep growing in stature.”

5. Undoubtedly, the biggest signing of the 2008 IPL Season, took place one hour before the cutoff, when the papers were lodged with the IFA Office by Dandaloo with the signing of Alvin Ceccoli. This is a major coup not only for Dandaloo but for the IFA in general as Ceccoli played for Central Coast in a losing A-League Grand Final less than 30 days ago.

Ceccoli who is no stranger to the IPL after previously playing with Dapto a couple of seasons ago, has chosen to play in the Illawarra for family reasons, instead of taking up an offer to play with Adelaide United in the Asian Champion Leagues.

6. Paul Reid currently of Brighton in England is set to sign a two year deal with adelaide united, He can play in midfield and right side of defence. He was a great player in the Wollongong Wolves glory days. Adelaide are also after italian based Aussie Adrian Madaschi.

7. Nick Rizzo is set to be announced as John Kosmina's next signing in his revolution of the former champions, the Perth Glory midfielder is said to be disgruntled and wanting game time.

8. Juventus would be interested in buying Harry Kewell if he fails to reach an agreement with Liverpool. Kewell stubbornly remains desperate to stay at Anfield and is pinning hopes on closing a new deal with Liverpool's survival in the UEFA Champions League.In Kewell's favour is that, out of contract in June, he is available for no transfer fee — an attractive selling point for the player and any club interested in his services. Juventus is understood to be one of the clubs interested in moving for Kewell when his contract expires on June 30 if an agreement with Liverpool fails to materialise.

No comments: