Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Archie please don't go, Archie please don't go down to New Orleans, You know I love you so Archie please don't go

Suspended Melbourne Victory star Archie Thompson has hit back at the club suggesting he has been made a scapegoat following his club's loss to Adelaide United last Friday.

Victory suspended Thompson and teammate Ljubo Milicevic for a breach of curfew after the pair slept in missing breakfast before flying home to Melbourne.

Thompson has hit back at the ban, which he has described as 'petty' and 'laughable'.

"I'm very disappointed at how things have ended - just for missing breakfast," Thompson told Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper.

"We were disappointed we lost the game, but we don't like to dwell on it. It looked like they were trying to look for scapegoats for the loss. The club's gone over the top. I'm missing breakfast and I get suspended. C'mon, that's pretty petty."

"Everyone I've talked to believes it is laughable. Sometimes you've got to put your hand up for the loss, but why all this?"

"Hopefully this gets resolved because I feel me and Ljubo have got so much to offer the team," he added.

The ban further fuels speculation that Thompson may seek a exit back to Europe with the Socceroo last plying his trade overseas with PSV Eindhoven in an albeit unsuccessful spell.

"I would like to go back overseas if it was to the right club," he told Melbourne's The Age newspaper on Monday.The suspended pair's immediate future is set to be decided by the club's leadership group including skipper Kevin Muscat, a group in which Thompson would normally be a part of.

"I am still scratching my head. I don't know what's going on, I don't know what the situation is. I am so upset about what's going on," added Thompson in The Age."You work your arse off to do things for the club and then this happens. We just missed breakfast. It's been so badly handled.""It's very disappointing, and then I find out from the media that the decision on when the suspension will be lifted will be made by the leadership group - when I am part of the leadership group."

1 comment:

chook said...

This was just a plan to terminate Milicevic's contract gone horribly wrong. If he leaves they will certainly be forced to eat humble pie. The only way out of this now is to hire Desmond as Victory's new Football Operations Manager.